- Our Company
- Air Conditioning
- Air Quality
- Insulation & Ducts
- Commercial HVAC
- Helpful Videos
Nine Things You May Not Have Known About Your AC
1) Over half the energy costs that you spend in a year go to heating and cooling. So it could be expected that as much as 25% goes to air conditioning, or even more, depending on what part of the country you live.
2) The energy costs you incur can be cut by making sure that the ducts throughout your home system are sealed properly.
3) If you have a central air system, your home could, in the long run, actually wind up being cooler if the condenser, which is stationed outside, is on the north side of the house, because that is the side on which it will be hit by the sun the least.
4) Plants around your home can have an effect on the amount of energy you use, and therefore the size of your energy bills, because they absorb heat and therefore keep that heat from seeping into your home.
5) If the air conditioning filter is not working properly, you could be in danger of having certain pollens and pollutants coming into your home, and you may not even be aware of it.
6) You can actually impose controls on how cool your home is according to the time of day, through the use of a programmable thermostat. You can adjust the temperature when you know you are not going to be in the home, so that the end result is that you are being as conservative as possible with your energy.
7) Proper maintenance of your air conditioning system can preserve its integrity to the point where it could actually last twice as long. So it makes sense to involve yourself in a plan with an HVAC contractor to have such maintenance scheduled.
8) Something as simple as your air filter, which may not cost more than $20, can be a very important component in terms of keeping some damaging particles out of the air flow. You should check your filter on a regular basis, at least once a month, and replace it as per the suggestion of the manufacturer.
9) Sometimes the way your home is constructed can have a tremendous effect on the way your air is conditioned. It may help to have some of the plans handy, and certainly you may want to consult with people who do home remodeling as well as the AC professional to figure out of there is a strategic way to go about making your home more energy-friendly.